- If your child must miss school because of illness, a doctor's appointment, a death in the family, religious holiday or court appearance, you must notify the school on the day of the absence and state the reason.
- Every school should have a parent liaison, whose job it is to connect parents with school programs, events and initiatives. Become acquainted with the parent facilitator at your child's school.
- Schedule family travel plans around school vacation days.
- Make sure your child gets regular medical and dental check-ups.
- During cold weather, dress your child warmly to help them stay healthy.
- Every day, ask how your child's day was and really LISTEN to their answers.
- Address any issues your child may be having with the principal or assistant principal.
- Make sure your child understands that school is an everyday thing; only to be missed on the rare occasion.
- Connect with The Springfield Parent Academy, a citywide network of learning opportunities for parents and caring adults to become active partners in the education and success of our youth.
Content provided by the Springfield Public Schools.