Teens accused of assaulting police, 1 boy hit with Taser - Western Mass News - WGGB/WSHM

Teens accused of assaulting police, 1 boy hit with Taser

Posted: Updated:

Three teens are accused of fighting with police, leading to one of them getting hit with a Taser.

Investigators said it started at about 12:45 p.m. Wednesday when a Gresham police school resource officer was looking for three students who were not in class and were violating daytime curfew laws.

The officer said he spotted a group of kids hanging out at 7-Eleven, located at 17404 S.E. Powell Blvd. in Portland.

The officer stopped a 15-year-old boy, who gave him a fake name and then shoved the officer, according to police. The boy then acted like he was going to hit the officer.

A 17-year-old boy then jumped in and pushed the officer, according to investigators.

The teens then ran away as the officer chased after them. During the chase, the officer said the 17-year-old stopped, turned around and swung at him with a closed fist. The officer dodged the punch.

The officer eventually chased the boys to an apartment on the 17200 block of Powell Boulevard. He said they went inside briefly before coming back outside and advancing toward him "aggressively."

The officer deployed his Taser, hitting the 17-year-old. The boy then ran back inside as other officers arrived at the scene.

The mother of the boy who was hit with the Taser allowed police to enter the apartment. That's when a third teen blocked their way, according to the officers.

That 17-year-old then fought with two of the officers.

"I didn't know what to do, I mean that's my baby I'm his mom and he's a minor, why did they have to fight with him," said April James, the 17-year-old's mother. 

James believes officers used unnecessary force, both with her son, and his friend whom they tased. 

"Why would you tase them like that? I mean I understand why they approached them, the kid wasn't in school, but why tase them like that?  I know they're running away but why tase them. They're kids, they're just kids."

Finally, the boy hit with the Taser was taken to the hospital to have the stun gun probe removed. Upon his release, he will face charges of harassment, attempting to assault a public safety officer and interfering with a peace officer.

The other two boys are facing the same list of charges.

Two of the officers received minor scrapes, while another injured his back during the incident.

Copyright 2013 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WGGB/WSHM; Springfield, MA. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.