Some of the residents who were forced to flee their homes because of a massive wildfire near Mt. Charleston more than a week ago were allowed to return home Sunday morning.
A lightning strike started the blaze in the Carpenter Canyon area on the western side of the mountain July 1.
As of Sunday afternoon, the Carpenter 1 fire had charred 27,881 acres or roughly 43 square miles. About 1,000 firefighters were battling the blaze, which was 70 percent contained.
Since the blaze started, more than 500 residents have been evacuated from Kyle, Lee, Lovell and Trout canyons.
Officials announced Saturday that residents of Trout and Lee canyons will be allowed to return to their homes beginning at 10 a.m. Sunday. Erik Pappa, spokesman for Clark County, said about 30 people occupy about 40 homes in the area. He said about half of the homes were unoccupied because they are vacation homes.
Pappa said most of the evacuees, about 300, live in Kyle Canyon. He said about 50 live in Lee Canyon. Residents of Lee Canyon will be allowed to return beginning Monday at 10 a.m.
According to wildfire status website Inciweb.org, Kyle Canyon residents and business owners will be allowed back to their homes on Wednesday at 10 a.m.
According to a statement from the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, evacuees will be required to show a driver's license or utility bill as they pass through several checkpoints during their return home.
Officials said they expect to allow public access to the area by Monday.
Officials said earlier this week they expect to have the fire contained by July 19.
A fire information hotline has been set up at 702-799-4610.
Copyright 2013 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.