Glendale firefighters were able to save one of two dogs dragged from a house fire Sunday afternoon.
Firefighters arrived at the house south of the intersection of 59th Avenue and Greenway Road about 4:25 p.m. and saw smoke coming from the back of the house.
The residents weren't home so firefighters had to force their way inside. They found a small fire burning in the walls of the house.
They also found two dogs that suffered from smoke inhalation. One dog survived, and despite efforts from firefighters using a FIDO bag and intubation tools, the second dog died.
The cause of the fire and damage estimates were not available, a Glendale fire spokesperson said.
The spokesperson also said it wasn't known whether the residents would have to find alternative housing.
There were no reported injuries and the investigation was continuing, the spokesperson said.
The FIDO bags and equipment were created by a Glendale firefighter, the spokesperson said.
FIDO are medical bags containing customized oxygen masks and other medical supplies specifically made to care for animals in emergency situations.
The bags were placed on Glendale fire trucks in April of 2007 after the Sun Valley Animal Shelter made a donation of $4,000 to fund the FIDO bag program, the spokesperson said.
Glendale firefighters have consistently used the FIDO bag equipment, and believe that the bags are a necessity since 70 percent of households have pets.
Copyright 2014 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.