United States Attorney Carmen Ortiz spoke exclusively to CBS 3 Springfield on Wednesday about the status on the upcoming trial for alleged Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.
She also touched on the possibility of his trial being moved to Western Massachusetts.
Nearly a year ago three people were killed and more than 250 injured at the Boston Marathon after two bombs exploded near the finish line.
Tsarnaev, one of the suspects of the attacks will be tried in federal court in November.
Speculation arose last year that the trial may be moved to Western Massachusetts after the defense said they may consider asking a judge to move the trial out of Boston.
Attorney Ortiz said the defense has until June to file a motion for a different venue.
Until then, Ortiz said the prosecution is expecting the trial to be held in Boston.
"Right now we're just preparing the case to go to trial in the fall on the date that the judge has announced," said Ortiz.
Tsarnaev is being charged with 30 federal counts and has plead not guilty to all charges.
"That's what the current situation is and that's what we're preparing for until it changes or the judge rules otherwise," explained Ortiz.
Prosecutors announced last month they will seek the death penalty for Tsarnaev .
The trial is set for Nov. 3.
It is expected to last several weeks.
Copyright 2014 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.