A massive barn fire in Chicopee Thursday caused multiple brush fires in the area due to high winds.
That barn, neighbors say, was more than 200 years old and appears to be a total loss.
Part of Montgomery Street, where that fire took place remain closed well into the night as firefighters looked to prevent any flare-ups.
"We heard a loud explosion, very loud. We ran out and the fire was just starting to come out of the side of the big barn here," said Ernest Laflamme who lives nearby.
Viewer submitted video shows the massive fire that broke out just after 2:30 in a barn on the 800 block of Montgomery Street.
Neighbors say the barn was more than 200 years old and once housed horses. Most recently it was used as a foundation waterproofing business.
"I felt very, very bad, bad for them as well as losing something that has been here for years and years because that's a beautiful site, beautiful, beautiful barn," Laflamme said.
Multiple crews from Chicopee, Springfield and Westover were on scene Thursday afternoon battling the fire. Neighbors say they heard two loud explosions which fire officials say were due to fire hitting the propane tanks.
"The wind made it difficult, it made it challenging for not only the fire scene because it was feeding oxygen to the fire itself but it spreading embers and carrying them quite a ways," said Deputy Chief Dean Desmarias of the Chicopee Fire Department.
The fire caused several brush fires a couple streets down from the barn.
"With the wind today and the low humidity and the vegetation that is on the ground, it was all prime. It doesn't take much of an ember to have that get another fire going," Desmarias said.
There is no word on how this started just yet.
"It'll be a long time until any investigators have the ability to get into the structure," Desmarias said.
Neighbors say the family bought the land in 1960. Their home didn't sustain any damage. The barn, however, is a total loss.
Copyright 2014 wshm (meredith corporation). All rights reserved.