(WMC) - A Mid-South veterinarian says tainted dog treats are making pets extremely ill and one dog owner knows first hand.
"I went in thinking it was going to be a bladder infection, and then I was told maybe she had a 50-50 chance to live," said Kristina Gardea, whose pet became ill after eating jerky treats.
Gardea is upset. Her 6-year-old Chihuahua, Roxy, is fighting for her life after eating chicken jerky treats made in China. She noticed Roxy was ill two weeks ago after Roxy urinated in the house.
"When I looked, the urine was real dark, real concentrated. At the time she acted just really upset at the fact that she even did it she didn't have control over it," said Gardea.
She immediately took Roxy to see Elmore Road Veterinary Clinic Veterinarian Dr. Brandy Ellis.
"She came in almost with tears in her eyes and told me that it was one if the highest level enzymes of a liver that she'd seen," said Gardea.
Roxy's liver was toxic. A serious symptom that Ellis was familiar with, in addition to the vomiting and secondary bladder infection.
"What we're seeing is some dogs that are eating the treats that are either wrapped in the chicken jerky or actually the chicken jerky treats that are imported from China or made in China," said Ellis.
Ellis says the dog treats have been a problem since 2007. Several dogs in the area have died from this in the past. The vet is urging pet owners to refrain from buying pet treats made in China.
The WMC Action News 5 team is investigating what particular brand of treats may be at issue.