Santiago lives with his father and sister. Once he saw the smoke, he scrambled to get ahold of his father's fire extinguisher.
"I thought if I could put a stop to the fire before the firemen get up here maybe we can save the house, the roof. I was worrying about the roof and I just went in there and put it out," Santiago said.
Fire officials said the electrical fire started on the second floor. Damage totals nearly $50,000.
"If I wasn't there the fire could have been right through the roof," Santiago said.
He said the room was quickly filling up with smoke when a firefighter came up behind him to take over the job. The Red Cross assisted with the incident, providing shelter for the homeowner.
"Shelter for three nights to get through the weekend and we provided food also for her," said Mary Milillo, a Red Cross team leader.
Maria Santiago was in the shower when she heard the smoke detectors go off. All four family members escaped without injury including the family dog.
Copyright 2014 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.