The shooting on Bourbon Street early Sunday morning, left ten people injured. Monday, state police announced plans to help NOPD with manpower until summer's end.More >>
When shots rang out on Bourbon Street early Sunday morning, crowds scrambled to escape the violence. Monday, state police announced plans to help NOPD with manpower until summer's end.More >>
A 21-year-old victim in Sunday's Bourbon Street shooting has died, police say.
Brittany Thomas, 21, died around 2:45 p.m. Wednesday, according to officials. Thomas was from Hammond, Louisiana. She was previously listed in critical condition.
"Our deepest thoughts and sympathies are with the family of Brittany Thomas," said Mayor Mitch Landrieu. "This type of tragedy strikes at the heart of who we are as a people and as a city. Now more than ever we need the community to come forward with information to bring the perpetrators to justice."
Ten people were shot at about 2:45 a.m. in the 700 block of Bourbon Street on Sunday. The scanner recording reveals an intense search for suspects and the discovery of victim after victim as the scene unfolds. Six victims are from out of state, one being from as far away as Australia, police said Tuesday.
As of Thursday afternoon, one victim remains in the hospital and eight have been treated and released.
On Wednesday, the New Orleans Police Department identified a person of interest in last weekend's shooting as 20-year-old Justin Odom. The announcement comes on the heels of police releasing surveillance video of Odom on Tuesday.
Police say Odom is known to associate with a white male named either "Josh" or "Joe" who is also a person of interest in this investigation.
Odom is currently wanted on unrelated warrants.
City and national leaders gathered on Tuesday to discuss the mass shooting on Bourbon Street that has captured international attention, urging anyone with information on the incident to come forward.
"For those of you that are holding on to information under the guise of protecting individuals in your community who have perpetrated violence in our streets under the concept of no snitching or stop snitching, let me tell you something - that is the handiwork of the devil," said U.S. Attorney Kenneth Polite.
A new call for the public to get involved comes following new information about the ten victims. Six victims are from out of state, one being from as far away as Australia, police said Tuesday.
Detectives are requesting for the public's assistance in obtaining any photos or videos taken of the incident or any photos or videos taken from the French Quarter on the night of the shooting to be sent to NOPDTIPS@nola.gov.