Firefighters in Chicopee were called to 28 Lucretia Avenue shortly before 4 p.m. Monday on reports of a gas leak.
Authorities say the multi-family building is vacant.
A maintenance man showed up to do some work there and noticed the strong smell of gas.
The gas company was called, and after testing the air, they called the fire department.
Gas readings were in the low end of the explosive range when firefighters arrived.
Columbia Gas shut service off to the building and the power company was called in to cut electricity.
No one was hurt and firefighters cleaned the scene a short time later.
Copyright 2014 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.