Gas grill may have caused West Springfield blaze - Western Mass News - WGGB/WSHM

Gas grill may have caused West Springfield blaze

Posted: Updated:

West Springfield fire crews are on the scene of a home on fire on the corner of Maple and Chestnut streets. 

Several site crews responded to the scene Monday afternoon.

Fire Chief Bill Flaherty tells CBS 3 when they arrived the two side porches were fully engulfed in flames.

They first made an exterior attack on the flames and once that was contained they made their way inside to gain control of the fire.

Chief Flaherty says it appears the fire was started by a gas grill on the first floor porch.

He says one of the residents was outside cooking when the grill malfunctioned and blew up in his face.

"It caused a fire ball. He singed his hair and was taken to the hospital and there were no other injuries. We did rescue a cat from the second floor," Flaherty said. 

Copyright 2014 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WGGB/WSHM; Springfield, MA. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.