Around 400,000 people throughout the state will now need to reapply for state subsidized health insurance and many may be unaware. Problems with the Massachusetts Health Connector website from last year are forcing the connector to re-start with a fresh website.
When the site crashed last year from so many applications, many were issued temporary coverage. Those people, as well as those that did receive a plan, will have to enroll once again.
After nation-wide health insurance went into effect, Massachusetts Health Connector website experienced problems, and those who tried to apply for state health insurance were unable to. Some people did get through, while others were issued temporary coverage. But now, all applicants need to reapply.
Because of the site's issues, Health New England has been working with the Massachusetts Health Connector to help mediate the website since the issues began.
"All of the currently enrolled people in the Connector as well as anyone who has been issued temporary coverage for 2014 will need to re-enroll," said Elin Gaynor, with Health New England.
Health New England said Massachusetts Health Connector is starting from scratch with a brand-new wesbite. So, people need to take action when open enrollment begins on Nov. 15, and reapply before Dec. 31.
Gaynor said Massachusetts Health Connector plans on spending $15 million to $19 million on a campaign to make people aware.
Copyright 2014 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.