Columbia Gas responded to Dwight Road near Franconia Golf Course after people in the area reported a gas leak Thursday.
Emergency crews arrived in the area of 123 Dwight Rd. about noontime after receiving complaints of a strong smell of gas.
People on scene said beyond the odor, they could hear a hissing noise.
Evacuations were not being ordered from buildings in the area yet, but no one was being allowed in the vicinity of the gas leak.
Dwight Road was closed until 12:50 p.m., when the southbound lane was reopened. Springfield police were assisting with traffic as the city line was nearby the gas leak.
Copyright 2014 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.