Construction crews ruptured a natural gas line on Powder Mill Road in Southwick, which forced about 50 residents from their homes on Friday morning.
Crews set up an emergency command center and residents living near the intersection of Depot Street and Powder Mill Road were evacuated.
Columbia Gas crews are on scene and are making repairs.
Southwick Fire Chief Richard Anderson said a construction crew was installing a drainage line near 44 Powder Hill Road when a chunk of asphalt fell from a bucket on a piece of construction equipment and ruptured the gas line.
The gas line was damaged near the main line, so a portion of the main line must also be repaired. Anderson said he is unaware how long the repairs will take.
The incident was reported at about 10:20 a.m. and residents were allowed back into their homes shortly after 11 a.m. The road was also reopened at that time.
Powder Mill Middle School and Woodland Elementary School are both located on Powder Mill Road, but the gas leak was on the opposite end of the road. Students were not evacuated.
Copyright 2014 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.