Candle causes Springfield house fire, $70k in damage; 9 people displaced
Fire crews battles flames at 105 Mass. Ave. in Springfield Tuesday afternoon. (MassLive)
The fire started on the top floor of a multi-family home on Mass. Ave. (SFD)
SPRINGFIELD, MA (WSHM) -
The Springfield Fire Department extinguished a fire in the city's Upper Hill neighborhood and the department's arson and bomb squad was on scene investigating shortly after.
Executive Aide to the Fire Commissioner, Dennis Leger, told CBS 3 that the fire was cause by a candle that was left unattended in the front room on the third floor. The fire caused $70,000 in damage. Nine people were displaced by the fire.
Springfield firefighters responded to 105 Massachusetts Ave. at about 3:15 p.m. Tuesday and were met with visible flames pouring from the top floor of the house.
Firefighters quickly got the blaze under control with assistance from the Springfield Fire Department's Ladder 3 and Ladder 8.
Springfield police, AMR and the American Red Cross are on scene assisting. Fire officials say the fire started on the top floor of the multi-family home.
Everyone, including pets, made it out of the home safely and there were no injuries.
Copyright 2014 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.