Malfunctioning boiler causes CO leak at Hampshire College - Western Mass News - WGGB/WSHM

Malfunctioning boiler causes CO leak at Hampshire College

Posted: Updated:
Amherst police and other emergency crews responded to Hampshire College on Monday due to high levels of carbon monoxide reported in the dinning commons. Amherst police and other emergency crews responded to Hampshire College on Monday due to high levels of carbon monoxide reported in the dinning commons.

Amherst fire officials say a malfunctioning boiler caused high carbon monoxide levels in the dining commons at Hampshire College, forcing students and staff to be evacuated on Monday afternoon.

Emergency crews responded to the college at about 4 p.m. 

Hampshire College officials say four people were treated with carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms and taken to Cooley Dickinson Hospital for observation.

Amherst Fire Chief Tim Nelson says fire crews are ventilating the building to make it safe to reopen.

Copyright 2015 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
WSHM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WGGB/WSHM; Springfield, MA. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.