Greenfield firefighters have put out an underground electrical fire on High Street and reopened roads to traffic.
Fire officials believe that extra material inside the manhole that was built nearly 30 years ago sparked an underground power line fire.
Reports of the fire around 2:40 p.m. Tuesday came in after a resident reported seeing excessive steam rising from a manhole.
Police closed down High Street from Main Street to Park Street due to the fire, which was found to be inside of a manhole. It took crews some time to get underground due to snow, ice and paved over manhole. Both Greenfield firefighters and Eversource Energy crews worked to locate the source of the fire.
According to Greenfield Fire Lt. Keith Gamage, power supply had not been cut while crews extinguished the fire.
Copyright 2015 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.