Columbia Gas officials say it was a broken main that caused a significant gas leak around 12:30 p.m. on Thursday.
They expected to have 100 percent of repairs completed by Thursday night.
Residents from seven homes were evacuated on Annable Street while crews shut off electricity and cable to get to the source of the leak.
Around 5 p.m., Columbia Gas said those residents were allowed to return to their homes, and the electric and phone companies would be restoring service shortly.
"They came in with the meters and they went right off the other end," said Jonathan Kratovil, an Annable Street resident. "They said everybody has to evacuate immediately."
Kratovil's home was one of the seven forced to leave in a moment's notice.
Officials said Kratovil's neighbor turned out to be the focal point of their investigation.
"We found gas inside a house that didn't have gas service to it," B.J. Calvi, deputy fire chief of the Agawam Fire Department. "So we [had] a pretty good size gas leak at some place on the street."
Kratovil said he understands the need for the precaution.
"The ground is just loaded with [the leaking gas]," stated Kratovil. "You have to worry about it coming on through the water pipes, into the house. This is why they wanted everybody evacuated."
Kratovil said a house on his street suffered from a gas related issue about 30 years ago.
Even so, he said he never really worried about Thursday's situation.
"I'm pretty comfortable with the gas, of course this makes you think a little bit, there's no doubt about it," Kratovil said.
Columbia Gas officials say it was their safety protocols that discovered the leak.
A crew was driving around testing the air when they noticed high levels on Annable Street.
Copyright 2015 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.