The Elias Brookings School in Springfield was evacuated Monday morning due to a gas leak.
Before 10 a.m., the smell of natural gas was reported in the Brookings School on Walnut Street.
Springfield Public Schools superintendent Daniel Warwick tells CBS 3 that the school was evacuated as a precaution, however the leak itself was not located in the school building.
It was found near the sidewalk nearby.
The children were taken into portable classrooms, and officials determined around 10:30 they would be allowed to be taken back in.
A Columbia Gas crew was headed to the scene to repair the leak.
Copyright 2015 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.