Improper disposal of smoking device to blame for serious house f - Western Mass News - WGGB/WSHM

Update

Improper disposal of smoking device to blame for serious house fire in Florence

Posted: Updated:
Crews work to extinguish a house fire in Florence Crews work to extinguish a house fire in Florence
FLORENCE, MA (WGGB/WSHM) -

Fire crews from multiple towns responded to a quickly spreading fire in Florence on Saturday night.

Northampton Fire Officials told Western Mass News, the call came in shortly after 5 p.m. for heavy smoke and flames showing from a home at 111 North Main Street.

The home was unoccupied at the time of the fire. A 62-year-old man owns the residence but was down the street from his residence at the time of the blaze.

Route 9 was detoured from Bardwell to North Maple for over three hours.

After investigation, Northampton Fire Officials determined that ‘improper disposal of a smoking device' is to blame for sparking the fire.

A Northampton Fire Department Deputy Chief confirmed to Western Mass News the home is considered ‘a total loss'.

Pioneer Valley Red Cross responded to provide aid, if necessary, to the lone resident of the North Main Street home.

Copyright 2015. Western Mass News (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
WSHM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WGGB/WSHM; Springfield, MA. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.