Woman catches fire from candle, gets airlifted to hospital with - Western Mass News - WGGB/WSHM

Woman catches fire from candle, gets airlifted to hospital with burns

Posted: Updated:
A Greenfield woman was airlifted to Baystate Medical Center in Springfield after her clothing caught fire and she suffered burns. A Greenfield woman was airlifted to Baystate Medical Center in Springfield after her clothing caught fire and she suffered burns.
GREENFIELD, MA (WGGB/WSHM) -

A woman in Greenfield was airlifted to Baystate Medical Center Wednesday night after her clothing was set on fire by a candle.

Crews responded to 7 Park Street shortly after 10 p.m. after receiving reports of a house fire and Western Mass News reporter Cherise Leclerc was first on scene. 

According to property owner Dennis Wade, the victim had just returned home from the hospital when she fell asleep next to a candle, which ignited her nightgown.

A tenant living above the victim heard her screams and was able to put out the flames, Wade said.

“Fortunately, we had all of the alarms working and fire extinguishers in all of the hallways and the fire was extinguished by the tenant above her,” Wade said.

The victim was rushed to Baystate Franklin Medical Center and later taken to Baystate Medical Center in Springfield via helicopter.

Wade said that he is not concerned with the building and that he just hopes the victim is OK.

The fire only caused minimal damage to the interior of the building. All tenants were allowed back inside the building once firefighters cleared the scene.

Copyright 2015. Western Mass News (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
WSHM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WGGB/WSHM; Springfield, MA. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.