Family displaced in Springfield house fire caused by burning emb - Western Mass News - WGGB/WSHM

Family displaced in Springfield house fire caused by burning embers from wood stove

Posted: Updated:
Firefighters at home on Haller Street Firefighters at home on Haller Street
SPRINGFIELD, MA (WGGB/WSHM) - Emergency personnel responded to a house fire on Haller Street in Springfield in the Indian Orchard section of the city early Saturday morning.

The call came into the city's fire department shortly before 8:30 a.m. from an off duty officer who lives down the street.

This according to Springfield's aid to the fire commissioner, Dennis Leger who reports the home is located at 69 Haller Street.

"Arson is saying it looks like embers from a wood stove came up through the chimney to the roof and caught the roof on fire in the back and did a drop down to the deck there's extensive damage to the rear of the building," said Leger.

Neighbors we spoke to told our crew on scene that the flames went up "12 to 15 feet high." The back of the home was severely damaged. Leger estimates it to be $50,000 plus worth of damage.

"I came out about quarter after 8 this morning and saw flames 15-20 ft in the air coming from my neighbors house over there," said neighbor Bill Watkins. "Just to see if the family was okay."

Three adults and two children were displaced by the fire. Everyone was able to make it out safely and there were no injuries reported. The Red Cross was called in as well to help assist the family.

Investigators with the Springfield Arson and Bomb Squad believe embers from a wood stove went up the chimney and onto the roof. It caught fire and spread onto the deck.

Copyright 2015 Western Mass News (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
WSHM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WGGB/WSHM; Springfield, MA. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.