People are in complete shock and disbelief after a fire rips through a Walnut Street home overnight.
Residents Western Mass News spoke with said it all happened very fast. They added that they were trapped within their home in a matter of minutes.
"We all ran downstairs. We couldn't go back the back door and front door. We jumped out the window," said Mercedes Rivera.
According to the Springfield Fire Department, the fire started 1 a.m. Monday. Fire officials believe the fire originated outside of the home and quickly spread.
Rivera and other residents home at the time said they heard a loud 'boom' and saw what was described as a ring of fire around the house.
"That's when everybody woke up," Rivera explained.
Walnut Street residents said they saw what was happening and wanted to help in any way they can.
"I'm like, I know the people. I'm just wondering if they're OK...if everybody made it out on time. I saw those people yesterday. They were at my house and now, they don't have a home. It's very sad," said Melissa Carrasquillo.
Carrasquillo added that she saw the whole thing and said she heard children yelling for their beloved pets.
Western Mass News has learned two cats have died and one dog is presumed to be dead.
"I don't think they deserved all of this," said Carrasquillo."The American Red Cross is assisting the displaced residents."
The fire remains under investigation by the Springfield arson and bomb squad.
Anyone with information is urged to contact 413-787-6370.
Copyright 2015 Western Mass News (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved