A Chicopee family is thanking the community after an outpouring of support from residents. Last month a fire on Montcalm St. claimed the lives of 87-year-old Bridgette Niebergail and her adult son Mark Boucher.
It was the help from complete strangers that helped them cope through this tragic time.
"The smoke alarm went off. I waited a minute and then I stepped out, open the bathroom door to yell and I got hit with thick thick black smoke," said Denise Boucher.
Within minutes, everything was gone. Three of their family members were able to make it out of the home safely.
Denise says it was the help from complete strangers passing by, breaking windows to try and help those inside.
"I didn't know that my grandma was still inside. I thought she would've already gotten out so I was just waiting to see her out in the drive way and I didn't and that's when I tried to go back in. Ama was holding me back. I was trying to go back in," said Nick Boucher.
"He was standing outside screaming for help. I just parked the car, got outside and just called 911," said Ama Addai. "We opened the windows. We tried but it was just too much."
One man even took the clothes off his back and gave them to Jed Boucher as he stood outside and watched his home go up in flames.
"Oh my god. I'm grateful for what they did because I was starting to go into hypothermia. It's wonderful that they would do that for somebody else," said Jed Boucher.
People from all across the country have helped the family raising almost $30,000.
"I absolutely had no clue whose house I was running up to. There was a fire and there was somebody that was in need," said Richard Christian.
Copyright (2015) Western Mass News (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.