FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WNCN/CNN) -- A North Carolina family says their Mother's Day dinner ended with a trip to the hospital after a restaurant accidentally served their two children mixed beverages.
Cheryl Kirkman says her husband ordered virgin daiquiris for their 13-year-old son and 3-year-old daughter at an Applebee’s in Fayetteville on Sunday. Instead, they received drinks with alcohol.
“As soon as my son drank it, he told my husband, 'Dad this don't taste right. This don't taste right. This tastes sour to me,'” said Kirkman.
Before realizing the drinks contained alcohol, 3-year-old Bailey had already drunk nearly half of her beverage.
“It was very scary, I was frightened…because like I said she began to gasp for a little air. I thought she was going to throw up because she grabbed her stomach,” said Kirkman.
An Applebee’s manager explained there was miscommunication between the waitress and bartender, Kirkman says.
Kirkman's husband is a minister and said her family is very involved in church and never dinks alcohol.
“If it was a lesson, from now on I’ll stay away from daiquiris. We’ll just get lemonade,” Kirkman said.
Both Bailey and her brother K.J. went to the hospital for an examination, and are back at home doing well.
A North Carolina Alcohol Enforcement Agency investigation revealed the same Applebee’s served a 5-year-old a mixed beverage in 2015, according to the Department of Public Safety. A virgin drink was ordered in that incident as well.
Applebee’s later commented on the issue, in a statement obtained by CBS affiliate WNCN:
“We take the responsible service of alcohol very seriously, and we’re sorry that this mistake was made. We have addressed this matter with all involved to reinforce appropriate processes. Further, we commit to making any necessary changes to prevent an incident like this from occurring again,” Elizabeth McGee, Chief Operating Officer of Apple Gold Group said in a statement.
Copyright 2017 WNCN via CNN. All rights reserved.