Southwick Fire Dept. reminds residents of the importance of moni - Western Mass News - WGGB/WSHM

Southwick Fire Dept. reminds residents of the importance of monitored alarm systems

Posted: Updated:
MGN photo MGN photo

The Southwick Fire Department posted the following video on their Facebook page of a close-call this weekend.

It shows a local family's dog jump up to reach leftover pancakes on a gas stove, accidentally hitting the ignition button.

Within minutes a fire starts burning.

But in this case, the homeowner was connected to a monitored alarm system, calling first responders and preventing severe damage.

"Without that alarm system, that fire would have burned freely until it was visible, or until somebody came home," said Fire Chief Anderson.

Firefighters remind homeowners that if you have pets or young children in the home, look into safety covers for your stove controls.

Copyright 2018 Western Mass News (Meredith Corporation).  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WGGB/WSHM; Springfield, MA. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.