MBTA: Operator used cellphone prior to trolley collision - Western Mass News - WGGB/WSHM

MBTA: Operator used cellphone prior to trolley collision

Posted: Updated:

BOSTON (AP) - Transit authorities say a trolley operator was on his cellphone prior to last year's collision with another train in Boston that sent 16 people to the hospital.

The Boston Globe reports 42-year-old Leroy Mattison, of Malden, told investigators he was trying to delete a post he had made on Reddit at the time of the crash Dec. 29. Authorities say he also had a loaded .40-caliber handgun in a backpack on the trolley.

Court records show transit police are seeking criminal charges against Mattison that include negligence, witness intimidation and using a mobile phone while operating a public transport vehicle.

The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority said Monday Mattison has been fired following the police report.

Mattison has declined to comment.

Information from: The Boston Globe, http://www.bostonglobe.com

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly
WSHM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WGGB/WSHM; Springfield, MA. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.