The State Fire Marshal and Hampden District Attorney have determined the cause of the fatal fire in Three Rivers.
The cause is reported to be improper disposal of smoking materials.
The fire at the Springfield Street building started on the third floor porch in the back of the apartment building and claimed the life of a 66-year-old man who lived in the building.
The victim has not yet been identified.
Six families have been displaced as a result of the building fire, which reportedly started on the third floor porch of the victim’s apartment.
Those families are staying at a nearby hotel in Wilbraham and re not able to collect their belongings from the wreckage due to the compromised structure.
Three Rivers Fire Chief Scott Turner told Western Mass News that the value of properly disposing of cigarettes.
"I guess using this as an example...it's extremely important, as important as smoke detectors, but the smoking material, you have to make sure it's out," Turner said.
While there were smoke detectors, many did not have batteries or were not installed in the correct location.
The fire remains under active investigation.
?Western Mass News will bring you the latest information on this story as it comes into the newsroom.
Copyright 2018 Western Mass News (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.