Three people rescued from the Ware River, 2 transporte - Western Mass News - WGGB/WSHM

Three people rescued from the Ware River, 2 transporte

Posted: Updated:
(photo MGN-Online) (photo MGN-Online)

The Ware Police Department helped rescue 3 people from the Ware River Sunday morning, after one man fell in accidentally while dumpling leaves near the river's bank.  Two of those individuals were transported to the hospital. 

The Ware Police Department was originally called to 17 Old Belchertown Road just before 11 a.m. after receiving a call that "2 people had fallen into the Ware River."

When they arrived on scene just a short time later, the officers found two men in the river. One was holding the other up. There was also a woman stuck as well in the river near the bank. 

"Originally, the first gentleman was dumping leaves by the bank near the Ware River and slipped down the bank and that's when he fell in," explained Officer Clark who was one of two officers first on scene.

He says that gentleman was in the water for about 20 minutes when a neighbor saw him.

"A neighbor noticed him and went down into the water and pulled him up onto the shore.  But it was a really steep embankment both of them ended up getting stuck about halfway up, they were still in the water at that point," Officer Clark told Western Mass News.

Then another neighbor, a woman, went to help them and got stuck too.

Officer Clark said he first got her out of the water and pulled her up onto the shore to Officer Gliniecki who helped her out. 

While she was being assisted, Officer Clark hung on to the two men in the river.

"I was trying to hold the two gentlemen in the water so they didn't drift away, while waiting for other rescuers to arrive on scene...was able to hold their hands from up on shore," Officer Clark said.

It was a dangerous situation, police say.

"The water is a little higher than usual.  The most dangerous part of it was the temperature of the water.  It was extremely cold," noted Officer Clark.

Police say they were able to get ropes around the gentlemen. 

"The fire department was able to get a makeshift stretcher underneath them, like a backboard, and get them out," explained Officer Clark. 

The man who was in the water the longest and the woman, were both transported to the hospital for treatment of hypothermia. Police don't believe their injuries are life threatening.

Emergency crews were able to clear the scene within less than an hour. 

Copyright 2018 Western Mass News (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WGGB/WSHM; Springfield, MA. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.