Woman dead following weekend fire in Sturbridge - Western Mass News - WGGB/WSHM

Woman dead following weekend fire in Sturbridge

Posted: Updated:
(photo MGN-Online) (photo MGN-Online)
STURBRIDGE, MA (WGGB/WSHM) -

One person is dead after a weekend fire in Sturbridge.

Local and state officials said in a joint statement that emergency crews responded to that fire at 16 Fairgrounds Road in Sturbridge on Sunday.  

A woman, who is believed to have lived in that apartment, was rescued by firefighters and taken to an area hospital where she died from her injuries.  Her identity has not yet been released.

"On behalf of the Town of Sturbridge I offer my condolences to the woman’s family and friends. This is such a tragic way to lose a loved one," said Sturbridge Fire Chief John Grasso in a statement.

Investigators determined that the fire began inside a microwave oven.  However, whether the fire started because the microwave malfunctioned or because food inside the microwave ignited can't be determined.

Fire investigators further found that the hard-wired smoke detector inside the apartment, which was more than 10 years old, did not work and the back-up battery was dead.

"We are working with the owner of the building to ensure that every apartment has working smoke alarms that are less than ten years old and has working back-up batteries. In addition, we are working with the owner to ensure all the required fire detection systems are in place," Grasso added.

Copyright 2018 Western Mass News (Meredith Corporation).  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
WSHM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WGGB/WSHM; Springfield, MA. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.