Fire investigators are releasing information about a fatal fire that broke out in Orange last night.
An elderly woman was killed after improper disposal of smoking materials caused a fire.
Orange Fire Chief Jim Young told Western Mass News that there weren't any working smoke alarms inside of the mobile home and that there was clutter that may have made it difficult for the elderly woman to escape and easier for the fire that claimed her life to spread.
We have been told that she was the only one that lived in the mobile home and her two dogs also died in the fire.
Today, flowers were placed outside of 38 Glenwood Avenue in the northeast part of Orange.
Young told Western Mass News that the fire was initially reported by a neighbor just after 9 p.m. Monday.
They reported a woman being trapped inside with two of her dogs.
This fatality is the second of an elderly person in just over a week. In both instances, smoke detectors were not working.
"We immediately go in, went into rescue mode, instead of suppression mode, so it's a labor intensive...takes more people to search and remove people from buildings...so that was the biggest challenge we faced last night," Young explained.
Young said that this serves as a reminder to check your smoke detectors in your home to make sure that they are working and caution smokers to always dispose of cigarettes and other smoking materials properly.
Young also noted that this woman's death was a sad end to a long life and her name has not yet been released as the D.A.'s office said they are in the process of notifying family.
Western Mass News will continue to follow this story and will have more information as it becomes available.
Copyright 2018 Western Mass News (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.