Authorities determine cause of fire that injured 2 in Chicopee - Western Mass News - WGGB/WSHM

Authorities determine cause of fire that injured 2 in Chicopee

Posted: Updated:
(WMN Photo) (WMN Photo)
CHICOPEE, MA (WGGB/WSHM) -

Authorities have determined the cause of a quick-moving fire that injured an elderly couple in Chicopee early Wednesday morning.

Around 6 a.m. is when the fire consumed the home on 40 Czepiel Street.

The female victim is suffering from serious injuries, while her husband was also hospitalized for evaluation. 

State Fire Marshal Peter J. Ostroskey, said the fire was electrical and started in the living room when a lamp cord was buried underneath material.

"Resistance heating over time started the fire. When electrical cords are buried underneath rugs or other materials, the heat they generate cannot dissipate and nearby combustibles can catch fire," Ostroskey wrote in a press release.

The fire was investigated by members of the Chicopee police and fire departments, and State Police assigned to the State Fire Marshal's Office. 

Tune in to Western Mass News at 4 p.m. on CBS3 to hear from their neighbor's reaction to this startling news.

Copyright 2018 Western Mass News (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly
WSHM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WGGB/WSHM; Springfield, MA. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.