Springfield police were able to deter a potentially dangerous situation at the Edgewater Apartments on Plainfield Street Friday afternoon.
Denis Leger, Executive Aide to the Springfield Fire Commissioner said just before 4:30 p.m. a utilities room fire was put out by police using an extinguisher before firefighters got to the scene.
The fire was caused by arcing electrical wires on a hot water heater with flames fed by a leaking natural gas supply hose, Leger said.
Leger noted this fire was a "very dangerous situation" that was professionally mitigated by members of the Springfield Fire and Police Department.
Six apartments were affected, and residents who are displaced will be relocated.
Copyright 2018 Western Mass News (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.