Suspect arrested in connection with deadly Springfield nightclub shooting

Suspect arrested in connection with deadly Springfield nightclub shooting
Published: Jun. 23, 2022 at 2:59 PM EDT|Updated: Jun. 23, 2022 at 3:00 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

SPRINGFIELD, MA (WGGB/WSHM) - Authorities have arrested a suspect who was wanted in connection with a deadly shooting last month in Springfield.

Springfield Police spokesperson Ryan Walsh said that 35-year-old Brandon Murray of Springfield was arrested Thursday morning inside an apartment in the Bronx, NY on a fugitive from justice warrant on murder charges.

Deputy Chief Steven Kent of the Springfield Police Department said the investigation was a success.

“We checked all his known locations in the Springfield area. We realized that he had fled. We were able to track him to New York. We contacted our counterparts down there, and they were able to get an exact apartment that he was in, and he was taken into custody, as far as we know, without hurting anybody else,” he said.

Officers were called to Saga Nightclub on the 0-100 block of Worthington Street on Sunday, May 29 for a reported shooting. When they arrived, they found 30-year-old David Carrasquillo suffering from a gunshot wound. Carrasquillo was pronounced dead at the scene.

Detectives investigating the case applied for and were granted a warrant for Murray on murder charges on June 3.

According to Kent, Murray is known to Springfield Police. He has had 55 adult arraignments including illegal firearms charges, numerous drug crimes and multiple armed robberies. At the time of the shooting, Murray was out on bail for open firearms charges. Springfield Mayor Domenic Sarno questioned the judicial system.

“Again the question goes, what is this person, Brandon Murray, even doing on the streets? Period. If he was properly held or incarcerated for his past crimes, maybe David Carrasquillo would still be alive,” said Sarno.

Walsh said that Murray will be arraigned in New York before being extradited back to Springfield to appear in court on the murder charges.