11 people displaced following Springfield house fire
SPRINGFIELD, MA (WGGB/WSHM) - It was a scary morning for a family of eleven in Springfield when fire ripped through their house. Wednesday’s fire marked the eighth fire in the past eight days and the second fire this week to be determined an electrical malfunction fire.
Springfield firefighters responded to 389 Wilbraham Road on Wednesday for reports of a fire that started in a bedroom on the second floor. They worked to put out the flames, but the damage to the home was too severe. Eleven people are now displaced just about a week before Thanksgiving.
Springfield Fire Capt. Drew Piemonte told Western Mass News that it was three generations of one family with multiple children. He also said the cause of that fire has been determined to be an electrical malfunction - the second one this week.
“Electrical fires are classified as the third leading cause by the NFPA,” Piemonte explained.
A fire Monday night on Grover Street in Springfield was also determined to be an electrical malfunction. Piemonte told us he always sees an uptick in house fires when the temperatures start to dip, which could be because people are using space heaters improperly.
“Electrical malfunctions can be caused by improperly plugging in a heating appliance, plugging multiple plugs in one outlet. If you have a coffee maker or toaster, you should just have those plugged in one outlet,” Piemonte noted.
He also said electrical malfunction could just mean faulty wires inside the home, which was the case in the Wilbraham Road fire. Fire officials said what is especially dangerous about these fires is people may not be aware of them until they grow to a dangerous size, which is why Piemonte said it’s important to use all electrical devices properly and if there any signs of an electrical problem, call an electrician.
“If you do experience some breakers popping or fuses popping, you should contract an electrician to have a look at the system,” Piemonte said.
Those displaced in the Wilbraham Road fire are being assisted by the Red Cross.
Copyright 2022. Western Mass News (WGGB/WSHM). All rights reserved.