Springfield Jewish Community Center temporarily closed after electrical fire

Crews respond to fire at Jewish Community Center
Published: Nov. 18, 2022 at 8:34 PM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WGGB/WSHM) -Crews responded to a fire at the Jewish Community Center on Dickinson Street in Springfield Friday night.

According to Springfield Fire Captain Drew Piemonte, the fire was caused by an electrical malfunction in the sauna.

JCC officials said the fire impacted the pool area, women’s locker room, family locker room and wellness area. Officials said arson is not suspected and they do not believe the fire was an act of antisemitism.

In a statement, JCC CEO Samantha Dubrinsky said in part-quote: “...We are very thankful that the building was closed to the public at the time of the fire.”

The JCC is closed until further notice.