South St. fire in Holyoke possibly caused by malfunction of vehicular electrical system
HOLYOKE, Mass. (WGGB/WSHM) - Crews in Holyoke were on scene for a structure fire on South Street Saturday night.
Officials said that they received the call around 10:13 p.m. and encountered heavy fire near the rear and third floor attic space of the home. After an “aggressive attack” on the blaze, crews were able to get the fire under control within 20 minutes.
A neighboring home sustained damage to its exterior, but no fire was found inside.
According to Holyoke Fire Captain David Rex, everyone who was in the house had just made it out, and no injuries have been reported. The families will, however, be displaced for a short time due to the damage. The Red Cross is assisting them.
Upon preliminary investigation by the Holyoke Fire Department Fire Investigation Unit and the Massachusetts State Police Fire Marshal, the fire begun started in a vehicle parked close to the building. It may have been the result of a malfunction of the electrical system.
Copyright 2023. Western Mass News (WGGB/WSHM). All rights reserved.