SPRINGFIELD, MA (WGGB/WSHM) -- A hazardous material incident in Springfield overnight sent several people to the hospital.
Dennis Leger, aide to Springfield's fire commissioner, told Western Mass News that shortly before 12:30 a.m. Friday, crews were called to the U.S. Postal Service bulk mail center on Fiberloid Street for a chemical spill.
That chemical, according to Leger, was an industrial cleaner called oxalis acid, which poses some respiratory concerns with exposure.
Postal Service spokesperson Mark Lawrence said that once the leaky package was discovered, "all proper emergency protocols were followed."
Just before 1 a.m., incident command then called in the hazmat team from the Mass. Department of Fire Services to clean-up the scene.
Postal officials said that four people, who were possible exposed to the chemical, were evaluated on-scene and one of those was taken an area hospital.
Lawrence noted that postal inspectors are currently following up with the person who mailed the package.