Crews work quickly to douse basement fire at Springfield home.

(courtesy Springfield Fire Department)

SPRINGFIELD, MA (WGGB/WSHM) - Firefighters worked quickly to locate and extinguish a fire that broke out in the basement of a home on Dawes Street Tuesday night.

Dennis Leger, aide to Springfield Fire Commissioner Bernard Calvi, tells us that crews were called to 47-49 Dawes Street around 7:50 p.m. for a report of a fire at a home.

When firefighters arrived on scene, a light haze was emitting from the basement of the residence.

Crews worked quickly to locate the, what was described as, small fire and extinguish it.

The home sustained less than $5,000 in damages, and no injuries were reported.

The Springfield Arson and Bomb Squad determined that the fire was caused by the improper disposal of smoking materials.

Copyright 2019 Western Mass News (Meredith Corporation).  All rights reserved.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.