Fire investigators have determined an overloaded power strip caused the house fire in Holyoke on Saturday morning on Ontario Avenue.

The fire broke out shortly before 10 a.m.

Emergency personnel from both the police and fire departments were called to the home, which is located at 203 Ontario Ave. Upon their arrival they saw smoking coming out of the structure.

Holyoke fire Capt. Anthony Cerruti told Western Mass News three people were home at the time the fire started. "Smoke detectors were working and alerted them and got them out of the house," noted Cerruti.

No one was injured in the incident. However, the fire caused "major damage" in the basement and lots of smoke damage throughout the house.

Following an investigation by the State Fire Marshal's Office and the Holyoke fire department, the caused was ruled to be an "overloaded power strip." Damage is estimated at $75,000.

Cerruti said three people were displaced as a result and were being assisted by the Red Cross.

The Chicopee Fire Department was also called to the scene to provide mutual aid.

Copyright 2015 Western Mass News (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

??

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.