Pittsfield fire officials quickly douse structure fire despite windy conditions.

(photo MGN-online)

PITTSFIELD, MA (WGGB/WSHM) - Residents at a two-family building have been temporarily displaced after a fire tore through their home Saturday afternoon.

Pittsfield Fire officials tell us they were called to the area of 79 South Church Street just after 12:30 p.m. for a reported structure fire.

When fire officials arrived on scene, flames were clearly visible from the rear of the building.

It was quite a blustery day, but crews managed to douse the flames within an hour.

Officials determined that the fire was caused by careless disposal of smoking materials.

Thankfully, none of the residents or any of the firefighters were injured, and the fire caused between $10,000 & $20,000 in damages, however.

Officials have stated that the structure is not a loss, merely temporarily uninhabitable.

As they wait for officials to give them the green light, residents will be given proper living arrangements by the building owner.

Copyright 2018 Western Mass News (Meredith Corporation).  All rights reserved.

Content Producer

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.