HOLYOKE, MA (WGGB/WSHM) -- Several people have been displaced after a space heater caught a bedroom on fire in Holyoke Sunday morning. 

According to Holyoke Fire Department Captain, Kevin Cavagnac, firefighters were called to the two-family home at 6:00 a.m. 

This was for 210 Suffolk Street. 

The report first came in to police as smoke coming from the eaves of the home.

Cavagnac tells Western Mass News investigators determined a space heater caused the fire in the 1st floor bedroom. 

Fire officials say some of the fire extended through the bedroom ceiling. 

The kitchen and living room also sustained extensive smoke damage in the process.

Luckily, no injuries were reported. However, 3 people were displaced. 

With Sunday's fire on Suffolk St., the Holyoke Fire Department Fire Prevention Bureau would like to remind folks of the dangers space heaters can pose. Here is how to use them properly:

-Space heaters should only be plugged directly into outlets, and should not be on extension cords.

- Proper clearance of at least three feet needs to be maintained between the heater and any combustibles, including walls and furniture.

-Space heaters should NEVER be left on unattended.

The fire was investigated by the State Fire Marshals Office, State Police, and the Holyoke Fire Department. 

Copyright 2019 Western Mass News (Meredith Corporation).  All rights reserved.

Content Producer

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.