Wiring in ceiling fan nearly causes Springfield home to go up in flames.

(courtesy Springfield Fire Department)

SPRINGFIELD, MA (WGGB/WSHM) - Fire officials say that the reason a home nearly went up in flames Sunday afternoon was because of an issue with the electrical wiring in a ceiling fan.

Dennis Leger, aide to Springfield Fire Commissioner Bernard Calvi, tells us that firefighters were called to 23 Horace Street around 2:20 Sunday afternoon for a report of an attic fire.

When crews arrived on scene, they were able to quickly locate the fire, which was on the ceiling of a third-floor bedroom, and worked quickly to extinguish the flames.

Thankfully, no one was injured.

Leger added that the home sustained less than $5,000 in damages.

According to the Springfield Arson and Bomb Squad, Leger stated, they found the cause of the fire to be from electrical wiring inside a ceiling fan.

Copyright 2019 Western Mass News (Meredith Corporation).  All rights reserved.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.